Friday, May 12, 2006

Devils Tower (Wyoming)

DEVILS TOWER is a geologic feature that protrudes out of the rolling prairie that surrounds the Black Hills.  It is considered sacred to the Lakota and other tribes that have a connection to this area. Hundreds of parallel cracks make it one of the finest traditional crack climbing areas in North America (as is evinced by my photographs below of climbers).

I crossed the border out of South Dakota today and headed over to Wyoming just to see Devils Tower; it didn't disappoint me!
 
 
You begin to see it from far away.
 

 
This takes your breath away.  Beautiful.
 

 
These are some sacred things left by Indians (I don't know exactly what the meaning of them is).





 
ROCK CLIMBERS!!!  I enjoyed watching them from the base!





 
My I love me photos!

 
Some little prairie dogs in the area.

 
They are SO cute!

 
The drive back to Rapid City, South Dakota, through Deadwood and the Black Hills National Forest  was beautiful.
 
A little deer in a neighborhood.
 

 
There was still some snow on the ground in the Hills.

 
Black Hills National Forest


 
Gorgeous waterfall.