Saturday, May 13, 2006

Mt. Rushmore (SD)

Mt. Rushmore in Rapid City, South Dakota, was on the top of my must-do list.  I have always wanted to see it.  I was just so curious as to how someone carved these huge faces into rock!!

Mt. Rushmore did not disappoint me.  It's a pretty amazing thing to see from the street as you are just driving along!


 
The entrance.
 

 
 
So, here are George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Teddy Roosevelt and Abe Lincoln in all their glory!

 
The National Park Service has made this a beautiful area.  You can see Rushmore from the viewing deck, or you can take a nice, easy hike around to the base of it.  It's really an amazing place - I am very happy to cross it off my list of things to do!  But, I still don't know how someone managed to carve those huge faces into stone - and to do it sooo perfectly!


 
Yes, this is many different views of the exact same thing!

 
JUST ABE!

 
JUST GEORGE!

 
Just Julie, George, Tom, Teddy & Abe!