Tuesday, May 9, 2006

Wisconsin

Continuing on my journey, I stopped briefly in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  It was a cold dreary day, but Milwaukee is a very cute town with some cool buildings.




 
A guy in Milwaukee who is letting his views on abortion be known.
 
 
Next I continued northwest to a tiny Wisconsin town called Necedah.  Necedah is home to the Whooping Crane Recovery Project.  Every year, they take juvenile whopping cranes and teach them to migrate to Florida behind an ultra-light plane.  Necedah was a cute town.

 
Not much to this town.  I guess they don't need much with a population of only 888 people.

 
The Wildlife Refuge.  Here's a tip.  Don't EVER go into this wildlife refuge when darkness is upon you and, most importantly, don't EVER go in without a map that specifically tell you where the exits are!  (DUH!)



 
Not great pictures, but these are juvenile whooping cranes (next 3 pictures).




A little deer in the woods.
 
 
An owl just staring at me - I could hear him laughing at me because I was SO lost inside the wildlife refuge.  Finally, I was lucky enough to find the exit.  The Necedah Wildlife Refuge was NOT somewhere that I wanted to spend the night!

 
NEXT:  On to Minneapolis, Minnesota!